London’s best winter pop-ups and Christmas cocktails 2019
Find out where London’s seasonal terraces and pop-ups are and which bars are serving Christmas cocktail menus.
Christmas is that time of year when your social life kicks into high-gear. If you’re planning a catch-up with friends and family and looking for a suitably festive environment, then why not head to one of London’s seasonal pop-ups or winter terraces. Alternatively, some of the capital’s top bars have curated special Christmas cocktail menus.
London Winter Pop-ups
- 18 October – 5 January 2020 : The Winter Garden @ John Lewis
The flagship department store transforms its roof garden for the winter season, featuring Sage cocktails and candy floss, curling and street food from Jimmy’s Carnival Diner. Open Mon-Sat 12pm-10pm, Sun 12pm-9pm.
– John Lewis rooftop, 300 Oxford Street, Marylebone, W1C 1DX. Nearest station: Oxford Circus. For more information, visit the John Lewis website.
- 29 October – 5 January 2020 : Montague Ski Lodge
The ski lodge returns to the Montague Hotel for another year. The Wood Deck will be transformed into a alpine hideaway, with pine trees, falling snow, reindeer, snowmen, and ski racks. The bar will be serving mulled wine, hot cider, hot chocolate, schnapps, flavoured vodka and more.
– The Montague Hotel, 15 Montague Street, Bloomsbury, WC1B 5BJ. Nearest station: Russell Square or Holborn. For more information, visit The Montague hotel website.
- 5 November – 31 January 2020 : Swan Lake @ Bluebird
Bluebird’s courtyard has been transformed into a mythical woodland inspired by Swan Lake. Featuring heated winter chalets and warm Ciroc vodka cocktails like ‘Sygnet Sour’, ‘White Ember’, and ‘Spellbound’. Open Mon-Fri 8am -9pm, Sat-Sun 9am-9pm.
– Bluebird Chelsea, 350 King’s Road, Chelsea, SW3 5UU. Nearest stations: South Kensington. For more information and booking, visit the Bluebird Chelsea website.
- 6 November – 20 December : The Winter Forest
Seasonal pop-up returns to Broadgate Circle, with snowy pine trees, twinkling lights, live music and food and drink. During the festive period, there will also be gin tastings, charity pub quizzes, wellbeing workshops, winter floral workshops, and visits from Santa.
– Broadgate Circle, Broadgate, EC2. Nearest station: Liverpool Street or Moorgate. For more information, visit The Broadgate website.
- 7 November – 29 February 2020 : The Elyx Chalet @ Rosewood London
The Terrace at the Rosewood London has become a Swedish-inspired hideaway, with sparkling trees, snow and festive cocktails with a Swedish twist. Open daily from 4pm.
– Rosewood London, 252 High Holborn, Holborn, WC1V 7EN. Nearest station: Holborn. For more information, visit the Rosewood Hotels website.
- 7 November – late February 2020 : The Enchanted Woods @ Madison
St Paul’s rooftop bar Madison’s terrace has been given a winter makeover. Cosy up under a blanket in wooden chalet surrounded by twinkling lights and heaters and sip hot cocktails while gazing at the City views. Open Mon-Thu 11am-late, Fri-Sat 11am-1am, Sun 12pm-9.30pm.
– Madison rooftop terrace, 1 New Change, City of London, EC4M 9AF. Nearest station: Mansion House or St Paul’s. For more information, visit the Madison London website.
- 7 November – late March 2020 : Winterland
Riverside, alpine wonderland returns, with plenty of heated winter lodges, cabin and igloos, fire pits, hot tubs, games, hot and cold cocktails, comfort food and more. Open: Wed-Thu 6pm-12am, Fri 5pm-12am, Sat 12pm-12am, Sun 12pm-6.30pm. Entry: Wed-Fri, Sun £5pp, Sat £10pp. For Metro Girl’s review, click here.
– Winterland, Wandsworth Bridge Road, Fulham, SW6 2TY. Nearest station: Wandsworth Town. For more information, visit the Winterland website.
- 8 November – 5 January 2020 : The Secret Forest @ Harvey Nichols
Harvey Nichols have created an enchanted hideaway on the Fifth Floor. Featuring ice cream cocktails and snacks inspired by Nordic favourites. Open Mon-Tues: 11am-10pm, Wed: 11am-5pm, Thur-Sat: 11am–11pm, Sun 2pm-7pm.
– Harvey Nichols, 109-125 Knightsbridge, Belgravia, SW1X 7RJ. Nearest station: Knightsbridge. For more information, visit the Harvey Nichols website.
- 12 November – 23 December : Miracle @ Henrietta Hotel
Hit US Christmas pop-up bar comes to the capital. Inspired by 1970s Christmas, expect an oversized fireplace, retro decorations, fairy lights, and festive cocktails designed by original Experimental Cocktail Club alumni Nico de Soto. Expect concoctions such as ‘Snowball Old Fashioned’, ‘Christmapolitan’, and ‘And A Partridge In A Pear Tree’.
– Miracle, Henrietta Hotel, 14 Henrietta Street, Covent Garden, WC2E 8QH. Nearest station: Covent Garden or Leicester Square. For more information, visit the Henrietta Hotel website.
- 14 November – 25 January 2020 : Fentiman’s Pink Gingerbread House @ Skylight
Winter rooftop destination Skylight have teamed up with Fentiman’s to create a life-sized, pink gingerbread house. Inspired by their new pink ginger drink, the photogenic, cosy cabin serves ginger cocktails and sweet treats. The house can be booked Thu-Fri 1pm-11.30pm and weekends 11am-11.30pm. Bookings: £90-£180 for up to eight people over 3-4 hours.
– Skylight, Tobacco Quay (Pennington Street entrance), Wapping, E1CW 2SF. Nearest station: Shadwell (DLR/TFL Rail) or Wapping. For more information, visit the DesignMyNight website.
- 22 November – 21 December : Smoky Barrels pop-up
A slice of the Highlands comes to the capital with an immersive experience from UK’s first dedicated virtual Shooting Lodge, Smoky Barrels. Sit by open fires, sip smoked cocktails and mulled wine, toast whisky marshmallows, enjoy whisky tasting and enjoy comfort food from Mac & Wild. Cosy up in festive hunting lodges, with fur blankets and tartan rugs, before enjoying a spot of virtual hunting.
– Smoky Barrels, 1 Devonshire Square, Spitalfields, EC2M 4YP. Nearest station: Liverpool Street. For more information, visit the Smoky Barrels website.
- 25 November – 25 December : Alpine Lodge @ 100 Wardour Street
The atrium at 100 Wardour Street has been transformed into an alpine lodge with apres-ski decorations and Moet & Chandon cocktails. The drinks menu includes ‘On the Slopes’, ‘Snowed Under’, ‘Pining for You’, ‘Cabin Fever’, and ‘Ice Ice Baby’. Open Tues-Fri 12pm-late, Sat 11am-late, Sun 11am-5pm.
– 100 Wardour Street, Soho, W1F 0TN. Nearest stations: Oxford Circus, Piccadilly Circus, Leicester Square or Tottenham Court Road. For more information, visit the 100 Wardour Street website.
- 28 November – 24 December : The Winter Village @ Battersea Power Station
The Grade II listed Coaling Jetty at Battersea is being transformed into a riverside village, with festoon lighting, Christmas trees, food and drink pop-ups, and cosy alpine wooden huts.
– Coaling Jetty, Battersea Power Station Pier, Battersea, SW8 4NR. Nearest stations: Battersea Park or Queenstown Road Battersea. For more information, visit the Battersea Power Station website.
London Christmas cocktails
- Dirty Martini
Popular bar chain Dirty Martini have developed three new Christmas cocktails for a limited-edition menu. Featuring The Heartwarmer (Beefeater Blood Orange gin, peach schnapps and blood orange, topped with Prosecco & Christmas Foam); Santa Baby (red and white blend of Absolut vodka, Bold London Spirit, Pimento Dram, blood orange, pomegranate, egg white and citrus)’ and Christmas Fairytale (Martell VS cognac, crème de cacao, gingerbread syrup, cream and egg white, finished with coconut snow). Available from 18 November – 31 December 2019. All drinks priced at £9.
– Dirty Martini, branches at Bishopsgate, Covent Garden, Hanover Square, Islington, Minories, Monument and St Paul’s. For more information, visit the Dirty Martini website.
- Mr Fogg’s Residence
Old world bar will be serving up some Victorian Christmas inspired tipples. Choose from ‘Mayfair Mistletoe’ (Hendrick’s gin, Roots Rakomelo Liqueur, Apple Strudel and Grapefruit), ‘Dickens Delight’, (Reyka Vodka, Amaro Montenegro, Zabaione, Cold Brew Coffee, Cinnamon, Chocolate Bitters and Tonka Beans) and ‘Getting The Goose’ (Sailor Jerry rum, spiced falernum and Campari aperitif).
– Mr Fogg’s Residence, 15 Bruton Lane, Mayfair, W1J 6JD. Nearest station: Green Park or Bond Street. For more information, visit the Mr Fogg’s website.
- The Little Yellow Door
London’s friendlist flatmates have created a special Christmas cocktail for the festive season. Choose from The Mince Pie Rum Sour with a mini mince pie on the side or the Mulled Wine Negroni Slushie (Mulled Rose Wine, Bosford Strawberry Gin, Campari and Martini Riserva Rubina). Accompany your drinks with Christmas tacos, with fillings such as Pulled Turkey, Pigs in Blankets, Brussels Slaw, Truffle Bread Sauce, and Cranberries.
– The Little Yellow Door, 6-8 All Saints Road, Notting Hill, W11 1HH. Nearest station: Westbourne Park or Ladbroke Grove. For more information, visit TLYD website.
- Mrs Fogg’s Dockside Drinkery & Distillery
Embark on a Yuletide voyages with festive concoctions, featuring ‘Sailing Home For Christmas’ (Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum, Fig Liqueur, Lime Juice and Cinnamon Syrup) or a ‘Gin Blizzard’ (Hendrick’s Gin, Islay Scotch Whisky, Lemon Juice, Honey Water and Fresh Ginger).
– Mrs Fogg’s Dockside Drinkery & Distillery, 37 Broadgate, City of London, EC2M 2QS. Nearest stations: Liverpool Street or Moorgate. For more information, visit the Mr Fogg’s website.
For a guide to London’s outdoor ice rinks this festive season, click here.
For a guide to what else is on in London in January 2020, click here.